Sunday, November 14, 2010

The wonderful words of Mr. Chesterton

I may not agree with G.K on everything, but he is a marvelous writer!  This is from the book "Orthodoxy"



"One searches for truth, but it may be that one pursues instinctively the more extraordinary truths."

"I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when i had put the last touches to it; I discovered that it was orthodoxy."

"I will not call it my philosophy; for I did not make it.  God and humanity made it; and it made me."

"Oddities do not strike odd people.  this is why ordinary people have a much more exciting time; while odd people are always complaining of the dullness of life."

"How much larger your life would be if your self could become smaller in it; if you could really look at other men with common curiosity and pleasure."

"Healthy hesitation, healthy thought of the other side, healthy complexity."

"The earth is so large, and the cosmos is so very small.  The cosmos is about the smallest hole that a man can hide his head in."

"Restriction of materialism"  "Materialists and madmen never have doubts."

"How can you advance freedom when you use free thought to destroy free will."

"

2 comments:

  1. Love the last one. Reminiscent of the origins of America as we are discussing in my class American Lit. with Dolezal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Chesterton is pretty sweet. Thanks for viewing man!

    ReplyDelete