Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Regurgitated discussion/rant about church buildings

I'm semi new to the blog world so i'm not sure if this is cheating, but i am revisiting a previous note i wrote almost two years ago.  I will comment on my note after the post...

here it is:

"
Why do we as a people of Christ spend so much time working on our church, dedicating so much time to being inside the church, and spend so much money on the church. Do we really believe that our view of “the church” is the building? What scripture do we gather that from? “And the lord said, spend lots of money on a building in my name” “And Jesus said, sell all of your things and give the money to a building in my name”. I do not think this is the case.
Isn’t it more accurate scripture wise to spend that money on the poor, on others, on people’s lives, on things that matter, the sick, the homeless, ect. I think so. What is more powerful? A giant building with a massive 1,000 dollar cross that has a bunch of rich people pour their money into to continue adding on additional crap. Or a shack type building that dedicated followers of Christ who are average people go to, to meet and worship together the Lord of the Bible; these people meet here because they give their money to the poor and other outreaching groups to help their community. They realize that the church is not a building but is a relational group of people who are following Christ with their lives. Don’t get me wrong I know that the building of a church can be used for good things. (Help kids/people get off the street, be appetizing to the eye and attract people into it that way to hear things needed to be heard, to enact basketball games and other types of after school activities to keep kids off the streets and give them more positive things to do) The thing I don’t get it why it seems churches want you to stay in them when the field Jesus speaks about is the world, not the 18,600sq ft addition to your church building. I think our churches should not be so much as a living area as it should be a sort of headquarters. A place where we meet those who we trust the most, those we love and support and a place we can help each other in the battle of life because we are all pursuing the same goal. So we find out things we did not know, find out secrets, and find out game plans.
In Acts which is known as the start of the “church,” realize Christianity was illegal, which means church was not a massive building so much as it was a relational group of people who were dedicated to the Lord and to each other.

What is church to you?
"

I think this note stemmed from many churches that I visit that are certain they are the only location (or other locations affiliated with them) that Christ is present or blessing.  I think that’s egotistical and stupid.  Again I reiterate that I am not saying that we should not have buildings dedicated to Jesus or our religion, but we should not become accustomed to putting down other groups and buildings if people decide to go there.  Do not be jealous or arrogant; be happy that the work of the Lord is not only on one particular groups shoulders or building.  Be thankful that despite the many flaws of EVERY group and EVERY building, God and we can produce good works in good faith.  Keep on making churches better through heat and air for the not so good weather; convert those non-used rooms into shelter for the poor, homeless, and stricken.  Find things to do with the buildings on Monday through Saturday!  Be creative! Be loving!  Be generous!  Do not horde people or demand but lead.  Join other churches and organizations (even non religious ones that do good) and help them in the good causes going on throughout the world.  Again, I want to repeat, I was not saying the buildings should not happen but money should be used correctly and the focus should not be on the building or the group, but should be on the ultimate goals.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Jory, I find it interesting that your definition of a church, if believers choose to have a building, is one that is based on poverty and only in that are they able to glorify Christ as they ought. The Bible talks about God's children being good stewards of what He provides. If it's money, then those people who have money will use the money as they feel led by the Holy Spirit. If it's buildings or properties, no matter how expensive of cheap they may be, they can all be used for the glory of the Father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh i wasnt trying to say that. I said a few times throughout the article that I do not think buildings are bad or anything like that. I've just been in and worked with churches that focus too strongly on their buildings and not enough on the community that they were around. I was meaning those instances; I was not making an all inclusive statement.
    I was not defining church as one that must me stricken with poverty; I was saying that many churches focus too much on how many people they can cram into a building on Sunday while the community around them goes to waste. Not all churches are like this, I know allot of very good churches. I wrote this a few years ago after attending a few churches were the focus was (in my view) not on target. That is all, just ranting (as the title implies).

    Thanks for viewing and following and bloggin! And adding your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. DO you have a blog? i tried to find it but could not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I currently do not have a blog. I had one a while ago but never devoted time to it. So, I took it down.

    I think there are a number of reasons why a church or churches fail at community outreach. I wouldn't be so quick to say that their heart is misplaced, but rather confusion on the part of the church members on what is actually to take place. For instance, what are visitors greeted with when they walk through the doors? What is the content of worship services, Sunday schools and other programs? Maybe there are too many programs, too many activities, maybe the direction of the church has not been clearly stated or defined. See what I mean?

    At any rate, I do like the topic of churches. Sorry I'm late in finding it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah i think your right, those things have alot to do with it too! Im not saying every church should burn down their building and start from scratch haha. i was just stating what i saw in some churches and organizations.

    Have you ever read a book called "the orange book" by reggie joiner

    i went and heard him talk down in florida. He is really good and has some really good ideas for churches/youth organization. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you talking about "Think Orange"? If, so no I haven't read it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah maybe that was the name of it, i was at work so i did not have access to the book. Its really good you should check it out. Or swing by my place and i will let you borrow it. Do you play poker at all? We play poker every Thurs here in ankeny at me and my roomates home.

    ReplyDelete