Thursday, August 18, 2011

Wisdom from neighbors


“I am still pro-Israel, but I’ve also become pro-Palestine. Pro-peace. Pro-justice. Pro-equality for Jews and Arabs living as neighbors in the Holy Land. And bottom line, pro-Jesus.”  –Lynne Hybels “My Search for the Truth about the middle east”
“I can’t say I’m overly religious. I get satisfaction from many different types of religions and philosophies.”   -Jon Huntsman (previous ambassador to China/republican candidate)


We are taught to celebrate independence. But independence and individualism have come at a great price. In the wealthy and industrialized countries we have become the richest people in the world, but we also have some of the highest rates of loneliness, depression, and suicide. We are rich, sad, and lonely. We are living into patterns that not only leave much of the world hungry for bread and starved for justice but also leave us longing for the good life and for meaning and purpose beyond ourselves.”    ---shane Claiborne www.redletterchristians.org


 “And I don’t mean that he’s being hypocritical. I mean that if you live in a democratic society, it is a mix of what you think the voters want and what you think is doable.”
-       Representative Barney Frank, a Massachusetts Democrat who is gay, speaking about Obama not being lucid during the 2008 elections on gay marriage.  (Pretty much its sad but true, good quote though!)

No comments:

Post a Comment